Discussion Question: Consequences of Family Dysfunction and Substance Abuse
Thelma, a 16 year old girl, suspected that her father had a drug problem but never knew it for certain. One day, she found out from some friends at school that her father used to buy crack cocaine from a known dealer. She agonized for over a week about whether she should tell her mother. She eventually did. Her mother asked Thelma’s father to leave the house and filed for a divorce. Thelma felt that the breakup of the family was her fault.
Read the article on http://www.aaets.org/article230.htm that discusses behavioral, medical, educational, and emotional consequences of family dysfunction and substance abuse.
Read the following article http://www.cigna.com/healthwellness/hw/medical-topics/teen-alcohol-and-drug-abuse-tp17749 on Teen Alcohol and Drug Abuse, paying particular attention to the Why Some Teens Abuse Alcohol and Drugs and Prevention Strategies sections.
Answer the following:
- Did Thelma do the right thing by revealing her knowledge of her father’s drug use to her mother? Explain why.
- What behavioral and emotional consequences might Thelma experience as a result of her situation?
- What risk factors for teen substance abuse are present in Thelma’s life?
- What practical action would you recommend for Thelma to fight against the guilt and anger she feels about the situation with her father?
- What practical action would you recommend for Thelma’s mother to reduce Thelma’s risk for substance abuse?
Here are some additional web sites that you might find helpful in answering this question:
Be sure that you have:
Applied your readings from the texts and the lecture to your response