The Portfolio Project for ACT450 is a research report that identifies and analyzes a company that has been indicted for fraud. The report also will evaluate the auditor’s role in relation to the fraud.
- To conduct your research, choose as a case study one of the companies listed below, or obtain approval from your instructor to use a public company not on the list.
- Just for FEET, Inc.
- Health Management, Inc.
- Jamaica Water Properties
- The Leslie Fay Companies
- NextCard, Inc.
- Crazy Eddie
- ZZZZ Best
- Your report must describe the issues surrounding the company and any company policies in relationship to the impact those might have on public audits/accounting.
- Provide the following elements in your paper:
- An executive summary identifying the company, the fraud, the affected stakeholders, and the ultimate resolution
- A brief history of the company
- An analysis of the auditor’s role in the fraud, including any auditing standards that the auditors did not follow
- Identification of internal controls that were circumvented or lacking and that could have prevented the fraud
- Identification of accounting policies currently in effect that are designed to prevent similar problems from occurring again, or, if no policy exists, a proposal of a solution that would prevent a recurrence
Your paper should be 8-10 pages in length. Follow APA format, according to CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements. Include a title page and reference page. Use four outside academic sources other than the textbook, course materials, or other information provided as part of the course materials.