- Paper must be typed and submitted in a file format that is commonly readable (Word or .rtf files are best).
- Paper should be 6 pages in length when double-spaced and using a 12 point font.
- Include at least four sources; the textbook may be used as one of your sources.
- Please DO NOT cite any online reference encyclopedias such as Wikipedia, Britannica, or Encarta.
- Your sources should consist of scholarly journal articles and books available through the Ivy Tech Virtual Library ONLY.
- All sources must be cited (must have an end note or a foot note) and the source included in a bibliography. The format of the citations and bibliography must be of a nationally accepted formatting system such as MLA or APA.
The paper must be based upon YOUR CHOICE of A or B:
- Compare and contrast the concepts of determinism, compatibilism, and libertarianism, as outlined in Chapter 4. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each of these positions? Which one do you believe is the most likely to be correct? Why?
- Compare and contrast the ethical theories of Aristotle and Immanuel Kant as outlined in Chapter 9. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each of these positions? Which one do you believe is the most likely to be correct? Why?
The paper is worth 100 points.
Essays will be graded based upon the criteria given below:
COMMAND OF TOPIC (up to 50 points)
Essay addresses assignment, and demonstrates independent thinking and familiarity with course materials.
ARGUMENTATIVE DEVELOPMENT (up to 30 points)
Essay shows careful development of related ideas in coherent, sequential paragraphs.
ORGANIZATION (up to 10 points)
Student has edited the essay, ensuring that sentences are clear and logical.
WRITING MECHANICS & SYNTAX (up to 10 points)