Questions 1–8: Answer the following essay questions in a short paragraph. Each question is worth four points.
- Compare and contrast directional selection and disruptive selection, and provide an example of each.
- Many pathogenic bacteria species are becoming resistant to antibiotics. Explain how such adaptations can develop through the process of natural selection. (Hint: Relate
this example to the conditions that are necessary for natural selection to occur.)
- What are the major evolutionary trends that developed among major vertebrate groups, specifically those that allowed for the transition from aquatic to terrestrial life?
- Providing examples, explain how sexual reproduction in plants has evolved to become less dependent on water.
- Explain how human activities can cause an imbalance in biogeochemical cycling and lead to problems such as cultural eutrophication and fish kills.
- Compare and contrast the traits and growth patterns of opportunistic versus equilibrium populations. Provide one example of each.
- Compare and contrast indirect versus direct values of biodiversity, and provide examples.
- Describe two traits that represent a sustainable society and two traits of a non-sustainable society.