ETHICAL AND LEGAL ISSUES IN HEALTHCARE LONG PAPER ASSIGMENT:
For your long paper assignment, you will be asked to write a persuasive paper on a legal or ethical issue of your choice related to the healthcare industry. The topic of the paper needs to be a narrow issue that you can research thoroughly and develop a persuasive position. The requirements for the paper are as follows:
- The paper needs to be typed, double-spaced, and written in 12-point, Times New Roman font. The paper margins need to be 1-inch all around.
- The paper needs to be 8-10 pages and needs to be written in APA format with citations.
- You will need to include a Title, Abstract, Introduction, Body and Conclusion.
- You will need to have at least 5 appropriate and credible references. You will most likely find that you will use several more. They can be books, journal articles, legal documents, medical or law review articles, etc. They can all be found online if you would prefer, just make sure you include a reference to the website so that I can find them when I check your citations. You are always welcome to ask me if you are uncertain about a source! (Wikipedia is never an acceptable source!)
- The paper must be written in Standard English. This means that spelling, grammar, punctuation, subject-verb agreement, and tense all need to be edited and need to be consistent throughout the paper. If you are not fully confident with appropriate grammar within your writing, I would suggest you visit the Writing Center. There are excellent instructors there who are happy to help! I am also more than happy to help!
- Please remember that the paper MUST be persuasive. You may (and should) present both sides of the argument you are making, but you must eventually pick a position and do your very best to convince me that your position is the correct one.
Before beginning the paper, I would encourage you to do several things. First, take a little time to think about topics. Choose a topic that interests you and that you would like to research further. Do a little research into it and see what position you would like to take. Then I would encourage you to send me your idea. I will let you know if I think it needs tweaking. Second, you should make an outline for the paper and write out the main ideas that you want to include in each section of the paper. (You will be turning the outline in to me as an assignment). You will need to do your research first! If you have any questions please ask! PLEASE NOTE: The more detailed your outline, the more useful critique I can provide.
Once you have decided what you want to talk about, work on your outline. I would encourage you to send your outlines to me in any stage of development to look over. Once your outline is finished and you begin writing, feel free to send me drafts to review, paragraphs you think don’t sound quite right, anything at all. I realize that undertaking a paper of this type seems really daunting at first. It is even daunting for me! But if you take it a step at a time and work methodically through it, it will really bring itself together and you will have an excellent product!