Research Essay Assignment
Your assignment is to create a 12-page argumentative/persuasive research paper given one of the following options:
Option1. Argue for or against how a writer developed a research project and/or wrote their report, article, or paper.
Option2. Argue for or against a set of rules, processes, or some other strategy you createdasto guide the development of a researchproject.
Option3. Argue for or against how a paper/report writer utilized elements related to theclass.
The paper should cite approximately eight peer reviewed full text journal articles retrieved from ProQuest, BE & T, InfoTrac, and Academic OneFile. Your paper should integrate at least the following elements:
- The presentation of a firm position regarding yourstance.
- An offering of a strong position using evidence-basedargumentation.
- An address of opposing points as to present a well-rounded argument controlling personal biases and strengthening your argument while diminishing the opposition’spoints.
- An effort to use evidence and argument flow as to instill a sense of trust into yourreader.
Do you feel stuck while planning your argument? If so, then try jumpstarting the assignment by using the following steps:
- Choose a stance you believe in and write down why you believe in thestance.
- Ask yourself the followingquestions:
- Who is my audience and which points will they be interestedin?
- What kind of tone am I assuming for myargument?
- Does my tone match the audience? (If not, consider changing yourtone.)
- Am I engaging in a fallacy or illogical stance? (Make sure you make sense or no one will believeyou!)
- Would someone agree or disagree with me given my points? (Argue with yourself as to find the strengths and weaknesses of yourstance.)
- Am I making a moral or cultural argument? (If so, you may need to reconsider a stance able to utilize scholarlyliterature.)
- Can I research my stance? (If not, you may need to consider a newstance.)
- Research as to find the evidence needed to support your stance or theory. Seek the needed facts, quotes, and existing research you can use for yourargument
- Outline and write the essay starting with the evidence-supported defense of your points and slowly transition into an address of opposingpoints.
- Provide a brief summary of the argument as to conclude theessay.
The analysis requires the additional components:
◻ Two APA formatted short quotes used to support thepaper.
◻ One APA formatted figure that you created that helps support your argument and research findings.
◻ APA formatted paperincluding:
o Font: Times New Roman, 12 point, and doublespaced.
o Margins: One inch margins, allaround.
o Indents: One-half inch indent as to begin aparagraph.
o Proper APA citations andreferences.
o Proper use of Level 1 headings as to label the introduction, main body, andconclusions
o Proper use of Level 2 headings as to label the sections within the main bodyand
o A proper titlepage.
o A reference page utilizing hanging indents and alphabetized by the last name of the first author.
◻ Free of spelling errors and minimal use of passivevoice