Assignment 1: Analyzing the Business of Organized Crime
This LASA is designed to provide an opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge of the business practices of organized crime and to assess changes in organized crime syndicates in America. Secondly, this LASA is designed to provide an opportunity to evaluate investigatory government initiatives and their approach to prosecution of organized crime.
Here’s What You Need to Do . . .
You are a research consultant hired to analyze the business of organized crime in the United States of America. As a consultant you must explain to a group of law enforcement representatives and stakeholders from the community how organized crime has evolved from its early beginnings to its current level of operations. Your explanation must include a description of how the groups have profited from their businesses. You will describe and evaluate the initiatives of government that seek to investigate and prosecute organized crime group members. Include information that reports how corporate and political alliances impact such government initiatives. The final part of your presentation will include a summary of the future outlook for organized crime.
Create a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes using the following instructions:
- Present an overview of the early beginnings of organized crime in the United States of America and discuss why history is important in addressing the problem. Include the identity of the different groups operating within the United States of America and explain why the identification of such groups is relevant to addressing the problem of organized crime.
- Evaluate the evolution of organized crime and how it has developed into huge profits for the groups.
- Compare and contrast at least three government initiatives that are used to investigate and prosecute organized crime members. (For example: How does the war on crime impact organized crime? This is just one example.)
- Analyze how corporate and political alliances impact government initiatives designed to investigate and prosecute group members of organized crime.
- Summarize the future outlook for organized crime.
Include a cover slide and at least one slide at the end of your presentation to reference your sources formatted in APA style that links back to your in-text citations and supports your recommendations. Remember, you cannot have only in-text citations or only references, you must have both because in-text citations and references are adjoined; they link to each other.