As you think about the essential components of cognitive and behavioral theories, what clients do you envision as best suited for these approaches? If you were a client in one of the videos you have explored thus far, how might you react to behavioral or cognitive interventions? On the other hand, if you were the counselor in one of the videos, how comfortable would you be employing a cognitive or behavioral approach?
In previous Application weeks, you have had the opportunity to observe humanistic, existential, and psychoanalytic theories in action. This week you increase your acumen in cognitive and behavioral theory (CBT) applications by watching media demonstrations of CBT counselors. Remember that all media pieces are 90–120 minutes in length. Be sure to select your media piece early in the week and plan your time accordingly.
- Analyze theoretical approaches in counseling sessions
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselors’ theoretical approach
- Analyze cognitive and behavioral theories
- Evaluate the effectiveness of cognitive and behavioral theoretical approaches in working with a specific client population
Please proceed to the Resources.
Week 7 Learning Resources
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of this week’s assigned Learning Resources.
|Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.|
- Capuzzi, D., & Gross, D. R. (Ed). (2011). Counseling and psychotherapy: Theories and interventions. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
o Chapter 9, “Cognitive-Behavioral Theories” (pp. 193–213)
o Chapter 10, “Dialectical Behavior Theory” (pp. 215–235)
o Chapter 11, “Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy” (pp. 237–261)
o Chapter 12, “Reality Therapy/Choice Theory” (pp. 263–285)
Note: This week’s chapters are for review, as they are the same as assigned for Week 6.