Case Study 1: Success with Agile Project Management in General Dynamics
Read the case study on General Dynamics, attached separately.
The Combat Identification Server (CIdS) Technology Demonstrator Project (TDP) has been delivered on time, with quality and budget parameters using the Dynamic Systems Development Method (DSDM). CIdS is a complex system and software project. The objective is to help clear “the fog of war” by providing a picture in the cockpit of an aircraft of the position of nearby friendly forces on the ground. The selection of DSDM for the CIdS TDP was motivated by the Tactical Datalinks Delivery Team’s (TDL DT) objective to demonstrate that complex military technologies could be delivered without delay or cost overrun. The use of DSDM was a bold move, but the CIdS project delivered successful outcomes for all involved. In the current economic environment, delivering acceptable solutions on time and at a fixed cost is surely a priority for the Ministry of Defense (MoD). The success of the CIdS project has provided a good example for the project management in the defense sector.
Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
- Speculate on the prominent reasons General Dynamics selected the agile framework they did to use in this project.
- Identify the major business problems the project team tried to solve. Analyze the manner in which the project team applied the agile project management techniques to ensure they delivered the project on time, on budget with good quality.
- Give your opinion if you agree with the approach(es) identified in Question 2. Justify your response.
- Analyze the manner in which the project teams and coaches master the agile methodology to solve business problems. Determine the approach that you believe is the most effective. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Determine whether or not the agile approach produced more business benefits than a traditional project management approach. Justify your response.
- Provide your opinion on the agile coach’s role in this case and determine if the coach is critical to the success of the project. Support your answer.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Must have introduction and conclusion.
- All paragraphs must be labeled.
- All paragraphs (except introduction and conclusion) must have in-text citations.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.