Week 3: Two Assignments
Elections and Voter Turnout Worksheet
Answer each question below in 50 to 75 words.
- Who were the candidates for governor in your state (or state of choice) during the last election? Identify their political party affiliation. Who won the election?
- What were the gubernatorial candidates’ platforms?
- What was the state voter turnout in this election?
- What are three ways to improve voter turnout in the future?
- What are three ways that citizens can get involved in politics in your state (or state of choice)?
Consider this scenario: You are working as an aide for a representative in your state legislature, and he or she has asked you for a summary of information on a particular interest group.
Use the following instructions to prepare your 10- to 15-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® or Prezi presentation to the representative:
Identify and provide a description of one interest group.
Discuss its connection or relationship to each of the two major political parties in your state.
Analyze the interest group’s relationship with the two major political parties by addressing these questions:
- How does the group influence the state government?
- What techniques does the group use?
- How important is the interest group to your representative?
Summarize the information you found regarding this interest group and provide a recommendation to the representative for responding to the issue with which the interest group is most concerned.
Include speaker notes.
- For Local Campus, deliver a 10- to 15-minute oral presentation accompanied by your slides or multimedia.
- For Online Campus, provide detailed speaker notes in the presentation file or in a separate document.
Use the Elections and Voter Turnout Worksheet to complete your analysis about the election and voter turnout in your state’s last gubernatorial election.